Dress up your Hot Cross Buns this Easter.
Woolworths supermarkets, (here in Australia), have been sharing ideas on their Facebook page for topping Hot Cross Buns with various different ingredients. I’ve adapted one of those to come up with this recipe.
There is a bit of a cheat here as you don’t actually bake the buns yourself – just buy your favourite type at the store or bakery. I used mini fruit buns but this would work with standard sized buns too. Of course you can bake the buns from scratch if you prefer.
Don’t be frightened by the meringue topping – it really is very easy to make, especially if you have an electric mixer or whisk.
Ingredients – enough for 9 mini buns or 4 standard size:
- 9 mini Hot Cross Buns (or 4 standard size), in your favourite flavor
- approx 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Cut your Hot Cross Buns and fill inside with enough raspberry jam to give a good layer. Close the buns to form a sandwich around the jam and then place the filled buns onto a baking tray.
- Put the egg white into the bowl of your electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar to the egg white whilst whisking until you have a smooth glossy meringue.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe on top of your filled Hot Cross Buns. (If you don’t like piping then you can just use a small spoon to dollop the meringue on top of the buns.)
- Carefully place the baking tray under your grill (broiler) and brown the tops of the meringues. Be careful as it won’t take long for the meringue to brown so don’t walk away.
- Once the tops of the meringues are browned to your liking, remove from the heat and place on your serving plate.