Mini mac and cheese.
This version of macaroni and cheese is quick to make as you don’t have to spend time preparing a cheese sauce. That means you can have the entire dish done in under 30 minutes.
The cheese melts perfectly in the muffin pan and you get plenty of crunchy edges to add extra texture to the dish. You could even use a large ‘Texas’ muffin pan to make bigger versions of these.
I used my favourite mushroom pasta sauce to make my macaroni, but you can use any type of creamy pasta sauce (such as carbonara or alfredo).
Have 2 of these for lunch, or serve 1 with a side salad for an appetiser.
Ingredients – fills a 12-hole muffin pan:
- 250g/9 oz small dried macaroni
- 250g/9 oz creamy pasta sauce
- 2 cups grated cheese (I used a pizza mix which included mozzarella)
- 125g/4 oz cream cheese
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Cook your macaroni in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the packet directions. Ensure that you drain it when it gets to al dente, as it will cook a little more in the oven.
- Put the cooked macaroni into a large bowl and add the pasta sauce plus both cheeses and a good seasoning of black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Spray a 12-hole muffin pan with a little cooking spray.
- Divide the macaroni between the holes of the muffin pan, pressing the mixture into the holes slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.