Last weekend I thought I would create a pizza that wasn’t smothered in cheese – totally the opposite to what I usually do!
The Indian-inspired flavours are layered through both the dough and the toppings which makes the whole pizza delicious, including the crust 🙂
The great thing about this recipe is that you can prepare the chicken in advance and keep it in the fridge. The rest of the pizza can be put together in 5-10 minutes, and it only takes about 25 minutes to cook.
I used a shop-bought mild tandoori paste as my curry base but of course you could use whatever you prefer, and even make your own if you have time. You can also substitute plain greek yoghurt instead of light sour cream.
The ingredients below will make a pizza with a thick crust because of the self-raising flour. If you like a thin crust, use plain (all purpose) flour instead.
Ingredients – makes a 28cm/11 inch pizza:
- 1 large skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup tandoori paste (from a jar is fine), plus 1 teaspoon extra for the sauce
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- handful fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- approx 3/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1 small red capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced
- 1/4 cup grated cheese, optional
- Coat the chicken breast with the tandoori paste. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to marinate.
- Cook the tandoori chicken breast in a pan, turning regularly, until cooked through. The exact cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken. Set aside to cool, then cut into small pieces.
- Heat your oven to 220C/200C fan forced/430F and lightly spray a pizza pan with a little cooking spray.
- To make the pizza dough, put the flour, 1/2 cup of sour cream, the majority of the chopped coriander, and the garlic into a large bowl. Gradually add the water and mix until you have a soft dough. Spread the dough out onto your prepared pizza pan.
- Mix the remaining sour cream with 1 teaspoon tandoori paste and the remaining chopped coriander. Spread this sauce onto the pizza dough.
- Scatter the chopped tandoori chicken, red onion and red capsicum over the pizza. Top with the grated cheese, if using.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the pizza is golden and crispy.
- Serve, topped with a few extra coriander leaves if you have them.