Simple and full of flavour.
This delicious platter of food is great for a weeknight meal for two. It is quick to prepare and cook, plus you can make extra couscous for lunch the next day.
I’ve never used Harissa paste before but I will use it again in the near future. Harissa is from Tunisia – it is made from red peppers and chilli. Used to marinate the lamb in this recipe, it does have a little bit of a kick but is certainly not overly spicy.
The couscous salad is the perfect side dish to the grilled lamb. It includes a combination of parsley, spring onion and charred red pepper strips. (Don’t worry – you can cheat and get the charred pepper strips from the store in a jar or can 🙂 )
If you don’t want to use lamb cutlets then any kind of chop would work well, or use chicken pieces instead. Remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Ingredients – serves 2:
- 3 teaspoons Harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 lamb cutlets or chops
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 spring (green/salad) onion, finely sliced
- 100g/3.5 oz charred red pepper strips, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Mix the Harissa and olive oil together in a large shallow bowl. Add the lamb cutlets and then coat in the Harissa mixture. Cover in cling wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours (or overnight if it is more convenient).
- To prepare the couscous, place it in a heat-proof bowl and add the boiling water. Stir with a fork then leave to sit for 5 minutes. Use the fork to separate the grains.
- Add the garlic, parsley, spring onion, red pepper strip pieces and a good seasoning of black pepper to the couscous and then use a fork to mix.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, (or your BBQ grill), over a medium-high heat. Add the lamb cutlets and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and rest for 2 minutes.
- Put the couscous salad onto a plate and then place the cooked lamb cutlets on top.
- Serve and enjoy!