Simple but super tasty.
Looking for something different for dinner during the week? This delicious meal takes just minutes to cook, especially if you cheat and use microwave-ready rice 🙂
Another excellent thing about this dish is how few ingredients it requires. The beef is tender and flavoursome with the hoisin sauce as a marinade. The use of the Chinese cabbage leaves as a serving ‘bowl’ makes everything look beautiful and of course you can eat it too.
I must admit that I fancied up my standard basmati rice by cooking it with some coconut cream and red chilli, but that really is an optional extra.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 500g/1 lb beef stir-fry strips
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 1 large packet microwave-ready rice, or 1 cup basmati rice
- 8 Chinese cabbage leaves (I used Wombok)
- sesame seeds, optional, to serve
- Put the beef strips into a bowl with the hoisin sauce and stir until the beef is coated. Cover with cling wrap and place into the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight if that is more convenient.
- If you are using standard basmati rice, put it in a saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to the boil. (I cooked my rice using 1 cup water and 1 cup coconut cream with some diced red chilli for extra flavour.) Simmer, covered with a lid, for 10 minutes or until the majority of the water has been absorbed, then remove from the heat and leave to sit in the covered pan for 15 minutes until cooked.
- Add the oil to a wok or large frying pan and then place over a medium-high heat. Cook the beef strips in two batches. Depending on the size of the strips, each batch will need about 5 minutes.
- If you are using microwave-ready rice, cook it according to the packet instructions.
- Cut any thick white stems from your cabbage leaves and wash well. Place two leaves on each serving plate, and arrange them so they form a long bowl shape.
- Divide your beef between your serving plates and then add your rice. Scatter some sesame seeds over the beef, if you have them in your pantry.
- Serve and enjoy!