Simple and delicious.
This salad is perfect as a side dish for a BBQ, or on its own if you are looking for a lighter option for lunch.
Tuna and sweetcorn is a classic flavour combination and works really well with the slight chilli kick from the vinaigrette dressing. The addition of rice to the salad brings both texture and flavour to the plate. (I used a red and wild rice combination to add colour, but any type of rice would work just as well.)
You can cook the rice the day before you want to serve the salad because it needs to be cold when it is combined with the salad leaves. Of course you can use microwave-ready rice instead of cooking standard rice, but still ensure that you cool it completely.
Ingredients – serves 4 as a side dish:
- 1 cup rice (any type), rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 200g/7 oz can tuna in springwater, drained and flaked
- 200g/7 oz can sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 120g/4 oz baby salad leaves
Chilli Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1 long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Put the rice and the water into a saucepan, cover with a lid and then cook according to the packet directions. Each type of rice requires a different amount of time to cook, so always check the packet. Alternatively, use a packet of microwave-ready rice and reheat according to the directions.
- Leave the cooked rice to cool completely (- put it in the fridge in an airtight container once cooled if you are making it in advance).
- Put the chopped chilli, olive oil and white wine vinegar into a small jar or jug and whisk rapidly to combine. Set aside for a couple of hours so the flavours can combine.
- Put the cooled rice, tuna, sweetcorn and salad leaves into your serving bowl and toss to mix.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.