Perfect for lunch or even a BBQ side dish.
Eggs are such a versatile food – you really can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This delicious egg salad is easy to make and super tasty.
I love curry and this is a kid-friendly version as there is minimal spicy heat. (Of course you can amend that if you want by adding more red chilli or dried red pepper flakes.) The creamy dressing is also complimented by the texture of the sweet corn kernels.
If you want to serve this as a side dish for a BBQ then double the recipe and serve in a bowl lined with lettuce leaves rather than individual lettuce leaf cups.
Everyone has their own preferred method of boiling eggs so I have not included instructions in the method below. If you want to know how I do it, I put the eggs into a saucepan with enough water to cover them, then bring to the boil. Once just boiling, I turn off the heat, cover the pan with the lid and leave to sit for 10 minutes before rinsing the eggs in cold water. I find that method gives perfect hard-boiled eggs that are not over-cooked.
Ingredients – serves 2 for lunch:
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 heaped dessertspoon mayonnaise
- 1 heaped dessertspoon light sour cream
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions (green/salad onions), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet corn kernels
- 2 large lettuce leaves (‘Iceberg’ lettuce works well)
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and roughly chop into a medium bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder and chopped chilli. Stir gently to mix – don’t stir too much or you will break up the eggs. Place into an airtight plastic container and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours for the flavours to develop.
- When you are ready to serve, put the chopped spring onions and corn kernels into a bowl and add the egg salad. Toss gently to combine.
- Place a lettuce leaf onto each of your serving plates and then divide the egg salad between the lettuce cups.
- (Optional – sprinkle with dried red pepper flakes if you want a bit more spicy heat.)
- Serve and enjoy!