If you love satay chicken then this is the dinner for you. It has all the peanut flavours but with crunch rather than creamy sauce.
This is really easy to make and doesn’t involve any fatty frying because the chicken is baked in the oven. I love how the simple peanut marinade keeps the meat nice and juicy underneath its coating of nut pieces.
The quick noodle salad works well as a side dish, but you could also serve with rice or a green salad if you prefer.
Note: if anyone in your house has a peanut allergy, this recipe is not suitable.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 medium skinless and boneless chicken breasts (about 125g/4 oz each)
- 1/3 cup peanut pieces (I used granulated peanuts)
- 150g/5 oz dried thin egg noodles (Asian noodles, not Italian ones)
- 1 small zucchini (courgette), grated or julienned
- 1 small carrot, grated or julienned
- 2 spring onions (green/salad onions), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet corn kernels
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Mix together the sour cream and the peanut butter to form the marinade.
- Put the chicken breasts into a large bowl and add the marinade. Toss the chicken to coat, then cover the bowl in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to marinate.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking tray and spray with a little cooking spray.
- Coat your chicken in the peanut pieces and then place onto the prepared wire rack over the baking tray.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes – the cooking time will depend entirely on how thick your chicken pieces are. My chicken pieces were very large and thick (at least 3cm/1 inch) and took a good 40 minutes to bake. If you aren’t sure then cut one of the biggest pieces through the thickest part – if you see any pink then it needs more time in the oven.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to rest whilst you make the noodle salad.
- To do this, boil the noodles or soak in boiling water according to the packet directions. Drain then put into a medium bowl.
- Add the zucchini, carrot, spring onions, sweet corn, soy sauce and sesame oil and toss to combine.
- Serve the chicken with the noodles and some sweet chilli sauce on the side.