Simple and delicious.
I must admit that tomato soup is not usually my personal choice as the shop bought products are a little too sweet for my taste. Here in Australia where I live we are now coming into the warmer weather, but before we get too hot I thought I would make one last batch of soup.
This recipe is really easy – 3 ingredients plus water. If you don’t add the water then you could actually use this as pasta sauce instead. I love it when recipes have multiple uses 🙂
The char-grilled red pepper strips that I used came from a can, but you can use those from a jar or even char your own red pepper (capsicum) if you want.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 800g/28oz can diced tomatoes
- 200g/7oz char-grilled red pepper strips (drained if from a can or jar)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Put the tomatoes, red pepper strips, garlic and 1 cup of the water into a large saucepan and bring to the simmer over a medium-high heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender (stick blender) to blitz until smooth.
- Add approx 1/4 cup water or enough to get the consistency of the soup as you like it. This will also depend on the original consistency of your tomatoes.
- Serve topped with some freshly ground black pepper.