Perfect as a salad or a dip.
This versatile dish is super easy to make because there is very little preparation required. If you can dice an avocado and a red onion then you can make this 🙂
I love all the colours in the salad. The black beans really work well with the juicy sweetcorn and tangy onion. I used avocado because they are easily available at this time of year here, but if you find them expensive then just leave it out. You can also add extra ingredients such as chillis or diced capsicum (bell pepper) depending on your family’s preferences.
The tortilla chips are great for adding extra texture to the salad, or you can use them to dip instead.
This would be the perfect side dish to a Mexican feast or a steak.
Ingredients – serves 4 as a side dish:
- 400g/14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g/7 oz can sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 8 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice (from a bottle is fine)
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- small handful fresh coriander (cilantro)
- tortilla chips, to serve
- Put the black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion and avocado into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice plus a good seasoning of black pepper and stir to mix. (The lime juice acts as a dressing for the salad and also stops the avocado going brown.)
- Pick the leaves from the coriander (cilantro) and add to the salad.
- Serve with tortilla chips.