Light and simple.
This tasty pasta sauce is made with frozen peas. Yep, frozen peas.
We ate this as a wonderfully light dinner, but it would also work well as an appetiser for a dinner party. If you have a fussy eater in your family then you can blend all the peas into the sauce rather than leaving some of them whole.
To add extra flavour, throw some cooked bacon into the pan with the sauce, or serve with garlic bread on the side.
Ingredients – serves 2 as a main course:
- 200g/7oz dried fettuccine or spaghetti
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Cook the fettuccine in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the packet directions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, put the frozen peas into a microwave-safe bowl with the water and microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through that time. The peas should be bright green and just cooked.
- Drain off the water from the peas and then put about two-thirds of the peas into your food processor along with the sour cream and garlic. Process until smooth to form a sauce.
- Drain the water from the cooked pasta then add the pea sauce plus the remaining peas. Toss to coat the pasta in the sauce.
- Divide between your serving plates and top with finely grated parmesan and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!