This mousse is really easy to make, especially if you have an electric whisk. If you don’t have an electric whisk you can still ‘whip’ this up but it will take a little more elbow grease.
I love how chocolatey this tastes, yet it is still light and creamy. I had to stop my husband going to the fridge to get another serving 🙂
You can also use dark chocolate, or even flavoured chocolate, if that is what you have in the pantry.
Ingredients – makes 4 big servings:
- 200g/7 oz milk chocolate, broken into small chunks
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups thickened (heavy/double) cream, plus extra to serve
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- few mini chocolate chips, to serve
- Melt the chocolate, either in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, or in short bursts in your microwave. Stir until smooth and then set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl. Whisk until pale and very fluffy. If you use an electric whisk, this will take a couple of minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the melted chocolate, the whipped cream and the sifted cocoa powder into the egg/sugar mixture. Fold gently so you keep the air in the mixture.
- Divide the chocolate mousse between 4 serving bowls or glasses.
- Cover each with cling wrap and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Top each mousse with a little more whipped cream and a few mini choc chips then serve immediately.