Brunch in one pan.
This recipe was inspired by a half-price bag of bagels that I bought at the supermarket, and the fact that my husband loves French toast. The addition of sausages adds flavour to the eggs and makes this a really hearty brunch.
This is perfect if you have some not-quite-fresh bagels that need to be eaten. Another plus is that, as long as you have an oven-proof frying pan, there is only one dish to clean up. Don’t worry if not because you can fry the sausages and then transfer to an oven-proof baking dish instead.
If you can’t buy thick sausages, get some sausage meat and form it into small balls. It will give you the same tasty result.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 4 thick sausages, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bagels, sliced in half then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/4 cup cream, optional
- freshly ground black pepper, to 6season
- small bunch fresh chives, snipped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook the sausage pieces in an oven-proof non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat on the stovetop until browned all over. (They will finish cooking in the oven.)
- Add the bagel pieces to the pan and toss to coat in any sausage fat. Turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool for a few minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a large jug or bowl, then add the milk, cream (if using), black pepper and the majority of the snipped chives. Whisk until well combined.
- Spread the sausage and bagel pieces evenly in the oven-proof pan, then gently pour over the egg mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the bagels to soak up some of the liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes or until the eggs are set and cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.