These are a small version of a caramel slice but no oven is required. If you can melt butter and chocolate you can make these. There are only 4 ingredients.
The crumbly cookie base is the perfect texture contrast with the smooth caramel and the snap of the chocolate topping. I used dark chocolate because its slight bitterness works well with the sweet caramel.
You could use any type of plain cookie to make the base – I used ‘Scotch Fingers’ which are like shortbread. If you make cheesecakes then use whatever type of cookie that you would usually make the cheesecake base with.
Ingredients – makes 12:
- 250g/9oz plain cookies (such as ‘Scotch Fingers’)
- 115g/4oz unsalted butter
- 380g/13.5oz can Nestle Top ‘n’ Fill Caramel (or any other ready-made caramel)
- 200g/7oz dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- Using either a food processor or a rolling pin, crush the cookies into crumbs. Place into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in your microwave – it will probably take about 30-40 seconds. Pour the melted butter into the bowl with the cookie crumbs and mix until combined. The mixture should look like wet sand.
- Spray a non-stick 12 hole muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Divide the cookie crumbs between the 12 holes of the muffin pan. Press the crumbs down to form a cup in each of the muffin pan holes. Make sure you don’t have any holes in the crumb cups. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Empty the can of caramel into a bowl and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth. Divide the caramel between the 12 cookie cups, spooning it into the middle of each cup – don’t spread it.
- Melt the dark chocolate using 30 second bursts in your microwave, stirring until smooth. Spoon the chocolate over the caramel in each cup, spreading slightly so it covers the caramel.
- Put the pan in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
- Carefully remove the caramel cups from the muffin pan, using a flat knife to help if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!