Feed a crowd with zero effort 🙂
I first made pulled pork about 5 years ago, but this is a much easier version. I think it tastes better too!
Cooking the pork in the slow cooker means it requires literally no effort to get super-tender meat. You can also serve it from the slow cooker – just put the burger buns and your favourite toppings nearby and let your guests help themselves.
I used unsweetened pineapple juice for this recipe but if you have surplus orange juice then I’m sure that would be OK too.
You need a slow cooker big enough to hold your piece of pork – my slow cooker is 6 litres/quarts.
Ingredients – serves 8-10:
- 2kg/4lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 1 onion, halved and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- burger buns, salad and sour cream, to serve
- Remove any string or netting from the pork and also any excess fat. Heat a large frying pan or flame-proof roasting pan over a medium/high heat on your stovetop and then brown the pork on all sides.
- Place the sliced onion into your slow cooker along with the garlic, cumin and coriander.
- Place the browned pork on top of the onion then pour the pineapple juice over the top.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Shred the pork using two forks and then cook on low for a further 45-50 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!