Light but still super tasty.
Usually I put a pile of cheese and also some cream in my quiches but not this time. The basil pesto gives this quiche all the flavour it needs and of course that makes it a much lighter option 🙂
The zucchini and basil are such summery ingredients – which is funny to me because we are still in the middle of winter where I live. However, it is nice to be reminded that the sun will make an appearance soon enough.
If you want to make a more filling version of this recipe, add some shredded cooked chicken breast or chopped bacon with the zucchini.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
- 1 sheet ready-rolled frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 small zucchini (courgettes), finely grated
- 1/4 cup ready-made basil pesto
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Spray an ovenproof 23cm/9 inch pie dish with a little cooking spray, then line the dish using the pastry sheet.
- Squeeze the grated zucchini to remove as much liquid as you can – if you skip this step then the quiche will be too wet.
- Scatter the zucchini over the pastry base, then dollop small amounts of the pesto over the top randomly.
- Put the eggs and milk into a jug and whisk until combined. Gently pour over the zucchini.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. You can wait for the quiche to cool then cover in cling wrap and put in the fridge if you want to serve it cold the following day.