If you can slice cake and melt ice cream, then you can make this 🙂
I’ve seen multiple versions of this cake on the internet so I thought I would make my own. It really is very simple and also very versatile – you can make it with any flavour of store-bought swiss roll cake and any flavour of ice cream. For my version I used mini raspberry filled cakes and a tub of Neapolitan ice cream.
To make a big cake like this you will need a deep pudding bowl. Alternatively you can use deep ramekins to make individual cakes instead.
Ingredients – serves 4-6:
- 250g/9oz packet mini Swiss rolls (the packet I used had 6 mini rolls)
- 2 litres/quarts ice cream
- Spray the pudding bowl with some cooking spray then line the bowl with one piece of cling wrap. (The cooking spray will hold the cling wrap in place.)
- Use a small sharp knife to cut the mini Swiss rolls into thin slices. I managed to get 10 slices from each of my mini rolls. Line the pudding bowl with the cake slices. Reserve any left-over slices to put on top of the ice cream later.
- Leave the ice cream on the kitchen bench until it softens then fill the pudding bowl with the softened ice cream. If you are using Neapolitan or two flavours, pick one flavour and then put it into the pudding bowl. (I spread the vanilla ice cream up the side of my pudding bowl to form the first layer.) Put the bowl into the freezer for 30 minutes to set. Add more ice cream until the bowl is full.
- Put any remaining slices of Swiss roll on top of the ice cream then cover in cling wrap. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and remove the top piece of cling wrap. Invert onto a plate, then remove the pudding bowl and remaining cling wrap. Leave for a few minutes and then slice to serve.