Can I eat this every day?
I’ve had cauliflower cheese before but I have never been a fan. However, now I know the two most important things about making it amazing – roast the cauliflower and then add carbonara sauce + bacon 🙂
Roasting the cauli gives it so much flavour. When you boil it, you can end up with a big pile of mushy florets but roasting helps it keep the pretty shapes. Also, roasting means you don’t end up with any water diluting your sauce.
My other tip is great for everyone who can’t be bothered to make cheese sauce. Simply grab a jar of carbonara sauce instead – much quicker and gives guaranteed results.
Ingredients – serves 4 as a side dish:
- 1 medium cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- olive oil, to drizzle
- 150g/5.5oz diced bacon
- approx 400g/14oz ready-made carbonara sauce
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F.
- Put the cauliflower florets onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add the diced bacon. Toss to mix. Roast for another 8-10 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and the cauliflower is turning golden on the edges.
- Spray an oven-proof baking dish with cooking spray. Tip the roasted cauliflower and bacon into the prepared dish. Pour over the carbonara sauce, using a fork to carefully lift the top pieces of cauliflower to ensure the sauce gets underneath too.
- Top with the grated cheese then bake for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes before serving.