It is nearly 3 years already since this was first on Recipe Adaptors!
With summer coming to an end for all my friends in the Northern hemisphere, it might be the last chance that you get to eat this without freezing 🙂
As with all ice cream cakes, you can easily change the flavours of the ice cream that you use in order to make it more convenient or suitable to any picky eaters in your family.
Ingredients – makes a large ice cream pie to feed 8/10:
For the crust:
- 1 and 1/4 cups Graham Cracker crumbs (or digestive biscuit crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp melted unsalted butter or margarine
For the filling:
- 1 litre/quart butter pecan ice cream (or vanilla or caramel)
- 1 litre/quart dulce de leche ice cream (or chocolate)
- 24 Almond Roca candies (or you can use any hard chocolate-covered toffee)
- approx 1/4 cup chocolate shell (like Ice Magic)
- Mix all the ingredients for the base together and press into the bottom of a 23cm/9 inch spring-form non-stick pan until you have an even layer over the bottom of the pan.
- Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the first litre/quart of ice cream out of the freezer and leave it out to soften. The softer the ice cream is, the easier the next part will be.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and spread the first litre/quart of ice cream evenly over the crumb base. It should half fill the pan.
- Put the pan back into the freezer to let the ice cream harden.
- Meanwhile, remove the second litre/quart of ice cream from the freezer to soften.
- Take 12 candies, place them in a plastic bag and break up with a mallet or rolling pin. You don’t need the candy to be all fine crumbs – some pieces are OK as long as they aren’t too big.
- After 15 minutes take the pan out of the freezer. The first layer of ice cream should be hard again, so now spread the candy crumbs/pieces over the first layer of ice cream.
- When the second tub of ice cream is soft enough, spread it over the first layer. This should just about fill the pan. Place the pan back into the freezer for the second layer to harden.
- Take the remaining 12 candies and repeat the crushing process.
- After about 15 minutes remove the pan from the freezer, spread the remaining candy over the top of the pie and then decorate with the chocolate shell.
- Cover with foil and place back into the freezer until the shell is set.
- Loosen the spring-form pan and remove, then slice the pie and serve.