Carbonara with no cream and added vegetables!
Every carbonara that I’ve made from scratch in the past has included cream – but not this one and we really didn’t miss it!
I also replaced about a third of a standard serving of spaghetti with zucchini noodles to reduce the carbohydrates and increase the vegetable content. You could replace the pasta completely with the zucchini if you want.
To get zucchini noodles you have a number of options – use a ‘spiraliser’, a julienne peeler or just cut the zucchini into very thin long strips. (I used a julienne peeler.)
Ingredients – serves 2:
- approx 180g/6oz spaghetti
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette), cut into long thin strips
- 150g/5.5 oz diced bacon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the packet directions. In the last minute of the pasta’s cooking time, add the zucchini.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large non-stick pan. Once cooked, turn the heat down to very low.
- Whisk the eggs and parmesan together in a jug.
- When the pasta is cooked, use a slotted pasta spoon to transfer the pasta and zucchini from the pot to the pan with the bacon. Toss to mix the pasta and zucchini with the cooked bacon. Don’t discard the pasta water – you will use some of it in the next step.
- Add the egg & parmesan mixture to the pan with the pasta & bacon. Stir, then add a little of the pasta water until you get the consistency of sauce that you like. Once the sauce is creamy, remove from the heat.
- Divide immediately between the serving dishes and grate a little extra parmesan on top plus add some freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!