I’ve been struggling for some breakfast inspiration lately but then I remembered these little loaves that I made 2 years ago. I love the delicious flavour that the cornbread takes on from the bacon, and how pretty the egg looks.
You will need 4 mini loaf tins which are each 1 cup capacity. It is also best to boil the eggs in advance – refrigerate them overnight and they won’t overcook when you bake them in the loaves.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup polenta/cornmeal (not the instant type)
- 1/2 cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- 150g/5 oz bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp baked beans
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Place 4 eggs into a small saucepan of cold water over a medium heat on the stovetop. Bring to the boil then turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and leave to sit for 10 minutes. Drain the hot water, rinse the eggs under cold water then set aside to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate overnight.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan forced/390F and spray 4 mini loaf tins with a little cooking spray.
- Peel your cold hard-boiled eggs and set aside whilst you make the cornbread batter.
- Put the polenta, flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda into a medium bowl and stir to mix.
- Add the remaining egg, plus the oil, milk and lemon juice to the bowl and stir until you have a batter.
- Add the grated cheese and stir to combine with the batter.
- Divide about half the cornbread batter between the 4 prepared tins.
- Put a boiled egg into the centre of each tin, then sprinkle over half the bacon and divide the baked beans between the tins.
- Spoon over the remaining cornbread batter, then scatter over the remaining bacon.
- Top each tin with a little freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning the tins half way through to ensure that they bake evenly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before turning out the cornbread loaves.
- Serve with your favourite type of ketchup (we had BBQ sauce).