Don’t spend hours making your Easter dessert – dress up your Hot Cross Buns instead.
I first made these a couple of years ago and it is now one of my favourite Easter recipes. It is perfect if you want to impress your guests but are short on time.
Here in Australia there are so many different flavours of Hot Cross Bun available that you could also make a selection of different buns with different jams 🙂
Ingredients – enough for 9 mini buns or 4 standard size:
- 9 mini Hot Cross Buns (or 4 standard size), in your favourite flavour
- approx 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Cut your Hot Cross Buns and fill inside with enough raspberry jam to give a good layer. Close the buns to form a sandwich around the jam and then place the filled buns onto a baking tray.
- Put the egg white into the bowl of your electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar to the egg white whilst whisking until you have a smooth glossy meringue.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe on top of your filled Hot Cross Buns. (If you don’t like piping then you can just use a small spoon to dollop the meringue on top of the buns.)
- Carefully place the baking tray under your grill (broiler) and brown the tops of the meringues. Be careful as it won’t take long for the meringue to brown so don’t walk away.
- Once the tops of the meringues are browned to your liking, remove from the heat and place on your serving plate.